The mission of Chicago Children’s Advocacy Center’s Community Advisory Council is to raise awareness of and to help prevent child sexual abuse, creating a voice for those who have been silenced.
Activities of the Council include but are not limited to:
- distributing ChicagoCAC materials to local groups, including civic, religious, school and business organizations
- assisting with ChicagoCAC’s annual awareness event in recognition of April as Child Abuse Prevention Month
- participating in legislative outreach to help ensure stable funding for ChicagoCAC and to advocate for strategic legislation related to child abuse
- making introductions to individuals, organizations and communities that would benefit from receiving outreach about ChicagoCAC and its services
By joining the Community Advisory Council, you can learn more about the important work of child sexual abuse prevention, use your personal or professional experience to help ChicagoCAC make a greater impact in the lives of children and families, and become an ambassador for ChicagoCAC’s life-changing work. The group currently meets every other month in the evening on the last Tuesday of the month.
You may be a good fit for this group if you belong to one or more of the following categories:
- Have lived experience as a parent or caretaker of children
- Have lived experience as a member of a marginalized community (including but not limited to – BIPOC, immigrant, LGBTQ+, disabilities) and can provide an intersectional perspective
- Have lived experience with various kinds of childhood trauma
- Are part of or work with child-serving professionals, such as teachers, day care providers, pediatricians or pediatric nurses, children’s librarian, and many others
- Work in or adjacent to social services professions
- Participate in community activism in your neighborhood or community
If you are interested in participating in this group, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Community Advisory Council”.