1 in 10 children will experience sexual abuse before they turn 18.
Here are some answers to people’s most common questions and concerns about sexual abuse and how to respond when it occurs, as well as some tips to prevent future abuse from occurring.
- Understanding Sexual Abuse – defining sexual abuse and how often it happens
- Recognizing Sexual Abuse – the signs of sexual abuse and why children might not tell
- Responding to Sexual Abuse – what to do if a child tells you about abuse
- Reporting Sexual Abuse – steps for calling the 1-800-25-ABUSE hotline
- Preventing Sexual Abuse – primary prevention, or preventing sexual abuse before it starts, is our most crucial tool in keeping children safe