Who We Are
Chicago Children’s Advocacy Center and our partners are the front-line responders in Chicago to reports of child sexual abuse, as well as reports of physical abuse of children under age 3. Since opening our doors in 2001, we have served more than 30,000 children.
ChicagoCAC is the city’s only not-for-profit organization that coordinates the efforts of child protection staff, law enforcement professionals, family advocates, medical experts and mental health clinicians under one roof. Our staff:
- facilitates our partners’ collaborative response
- arranges families’ visits to the center, including provision of support services such as transportation and child life
- conducts forensic interviews
- provides family advocacy and crisis intervention services
- provides mental health therapy
All of our services are aimed at reducing trauma so that children and families may begin the healing process. ChicagoCAC’s services are free of charge to every client.
Uniting public, private and community partners to ensure the safety, health and well-being of abused children.
Our shared vision
To eliminate the suffering of abused children in Chicago.
Our core values
- Freedom from abuse and exploitation is a basic human right.
- The center is a safe place for everyone who enters its doors.
- The collaborative process is the best approach to prevent and respond to child abuse.
- Our children and families deserve to receive the highest standard of care available.
- Best-practice interventions can restore lives.
Our approach is based on a nationwide model of child advocacy centers, and we are accredited by the National Children’s Alliance. ChicagoCAC believes that a multi-disciplinary approach is the most effective way to protect children and prevent abuse.
ChicagoCAC was founded by former Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley in 1998. The city, county and state provided seed money and additional resources to build our center, which opened in 2001. Learn more.
Just as our work to help children and families heal from abuse is a public-private partnership, our funding represents a mix of private and government sources. Learn more.