The Family Advocate’s job is to provide advocacy and case management services to child victims of sexual abuse and their families who are referred to the Chicago Children’s Advocacy Center. The Family Advocate assists with crisis intervention and makes referrals for families to appropriate social service organizations. The Family Advocate supports a family throughout a child sexual abuse investigation, intake through disposition. The Family Advocate will deliver culturally sensitive and well-coordinated care.
- Greet child and family upon arrival at the CCAC and help prepare them for the forensic interview and investigation.
- Collect information from the non-offending caregiver and others as needed and assist families with completing required forms.
- Answer questions from the non-offending caregiver and provide support and guidance during the investigation.
- Serve as families’ liaison and representative to the multidisciplinary investigating team.
- Assess families for needs and make referrals for families to appropriate social service organizations located in families’ communities.
- Assist families in completing applications to the Illinois Attorney General’s Violent Crime Victims Compensation Program.
- Provide on-going case management during child sexual abuse investigations.
Remain in regularly and consistent contact with the family during child sexual abuse investigations, including home visits if necessary.
- Attend and participate in regularly scheduled team meetings and case reviews.
- Attend and participate in staff development trainings.
- Actively participate in on-going Advocacy Program development.
Minimum education requirement of MA/MSW or BA/BSW and 5 years experience in social services or related field. Strong team building, problem solving, organizational, and oral communication skills are necessary. Demonstrated knowledge of multiple cultures and the cultural impact on the delivery of services a must. Training or experience in working with people with disabilities and people with mental health disorders preferred. Knowledge of the Cook County courts, Chicago area social service system, and victim’s rights preferred.
The Family Advocate is responsible for occasional supervision of volunteers, students, and interns.
Submit resumes with cover letter at email@example.com; Fax (312) 492-3760; or Resumes, Chicago Children’s Advocacy Center, 1240 S. Damen, Chicago, IL 60608.