Advocacy Action: Statute of Limitations
There is currently a bill in the Illinois legislature, SB189, that would remove the statute of limitations for child sexual abuse, ensuring that time never runs out for victims of abuse to seek justice – and helping protect our community from known perpetrators. We need your help to ensure it passes!
This bill has passed the Illinois Senate and is now in the Illinois House Criminal Law Committee for review. Please submit a witness slip in support of the legislation before the committee meeting at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, May 16! Your support will help give a voice to victims of child sexual abuse in Chicago and throughout the state!
For additional information, see ChicagoCAC’s position statement on the statute of limitations.
Submit a Witness Slip
- Under Section I, fill in your identification information.
- Under Section II, fill out your organization if you are representing one, or write “self” if you are representing yourself. You can also fill in N/A.
- In Section III, select “Proponent.“
- In Section IV, select “Record of Appearance Only,” unless you are submitting other forms of testimony, in which case select those as well.
Ready to do more? Please contact your representative!
- Find your state representative’s contact information here.
- Determine whether your representative sponsors the bill by viewing the sponsors at the top of this page.
- Contact your representative to thank them for sponsoring OR to ask them to do so.
If your representative sponsors the bill
Click the button below to send them our template email thanking them for their support and encouraging their collaboration with colleagues to get this legislation passed. Be sure to add in their name in the “dear” field, and fill in your mailing address at the bottom.
If your representative does NOT sponsor the bill
Click the button below to send them our template email asking them to make victims of child sexual abuse a priority. Be sure to add in their names in the “dear” field, and fill in your mailing address at the bottom.
Or call your legislators using this script:
I’m [YOUR NAME], a constituent of [REPRESENTATIVE]. I am calling to ask [REPRESENTATIVE] to support Senate Bill 189, which would remove the statute of limitations for child sexual abuse. As a constituent, I am passionate about ensuring that the 1 in 10 children who are victims of sexual abuse have the opportunity to seek justice – no matter when they come forward. I urge [REPRESENTATIVE] to work with colleagues to pass this important legislation. Thank you.
Thank you for helping ensure victims of child sexual abuse can seek justice! Please help us spread the word by sharing this page with your networks!
Questions? Contact Melissa Siemasz: (312) 492-3760 or MSiemasz@ChicagoCAC.org